Anaphylaxis is a severe, rapidly progressing allergic reaction that is potentially life threatening. The most common allergens in school aged children are peanuts, eggs, tree nuts (e.g. cashews), cow’s milk, fish and shellfish, wheat, soy, sesame, latex, certain insect stings and medication.

The key to prevention of anaphylaxis at Clyde Primary School is knowledge of those students who have been diagnosed at risk, awareness of triggers (allergens), and prevention of exposure to these triggers. Partnerships between Clyde Primary School and parents are important in ensuring that certain foods or items are kept away from the student while at school.

Department of Education and Early Childhood Development advice on the banning of food or other products is not recommended due to the possibility of encouraging complacency among staff and students, the presence of hidden allergens and the difficulty of monitoring and enforcing a ban. At Clyde Primary School the focus will be placed on raising awareness of the risks associated with anaphylaxis, and to implement practical, age-appropriate strategies to minimize exposure to known allergens.

This letter is to alert you that a student in the Junior Learning Centre has a severe allergy to peanuts. To help keep the classroom safe it would be greatly appreciated if you could be mindful of sending foods that contain these products to school with your child.

If you would like to read our school anaphylaxis policy or other related fact sheet they can be found on our school website under parent information and also attached here —–> anaphylaxis policy

If you have any questions please contact Hayley Taylor, the school welfare coordinator. I thank you for your cooperation in helping to make our school a safe environment for all students.

Yours Sincerely

Hayley Taylor

School Welfare Coordinator

Translate »
X