This term, a Personal Safety program will be introduced into our social skills program called Wise Child. This program has been designed to provide children with the skills to cope in situations in where they may be at risk of harm. We realise that there are times when we cannot always be there to provide protection for our children.
What is personal safety?
Personal safety is building the resilience and confidence of children to help them problem solve and identify strategies in order to prevent harm and abuse. It teaches children how to identify and avoid risky situations.
Personal safety strategies empower and educate children and young people to manage situations such as:
- Risk Taking Behaviours
Why a Personal Safety program?
- We want children to be safe, able to identify what is right and wrong, and what to do if they have concerns.
- We want children to take notice of their feelings and respond safely to inappropriate behaviour.
- We want them to develop good observation and problem solving skills to stay safe in emergencies.
- We want children to be strong and confident in the knowledge that they have the right to be safe at all times.
- We want children to have the resources and networks to call on if they have concerns or are in danger.
If you have any questions about this program please contact your child’s class teacher.