Clyde Primary School Newsletter

6th February 2017

Featured | Welcome Back

Welcome back everybody and what an exciting start to 2017 it has been!

The 2017 year started on Monday for our staff with some professional learning and organisation of the school year. On Wednesday our very enthusiastic Year 1-6 students began in their new 2017 classes.

Thursday, saw our new Foundation students begin their schooling journey, and with some time to say goodbye to their families, the new students quickly settled into their new classrooms. Congratulations and welcome to Clyde Primary School, students of 2017!

Events

Filter Events

20nov9:00 am10:30 amWhole School / Graduation Photo Day

21nov(nov 21)9:10 am(nov 21)9:10 amCamp Quality Puppets

23nov(nov 23)12:00 pm(nov 23)12:00 pmWhole School Transition

27nov(nov 27)6:00 pm(nov 27)6:00 pm2019 Foundation Parent Information Session

29nov(nov 29)11:00 am(nov 29)11:00 amParent Helper's Morning Tea

29nov(nov 29)6:00 pm(nov 29)6:00 pmFoundation 2019 Parent Information Session

03dec(dec 3)12:00 pm(dec 3)12:00 pmWhole School Transition Session

04decalldayalldayCarols Night

Principal’s Report

Welcome back for 2017

I would like to welcome our school community back to an exciting 2017 and make a special welcome to our new Foundation students who settled in well on their first day. We know they are well and truly ready and raring to go as a result of attending our numerous transition sessions in 2016. Our students are feeling safe and secure and positive about learning and school.  To our returning students, and our new students throughout the school, I wish you a year of achieving your best in learning and hope that you make the most of your opportunities.

To our parents, a special welcome back, we welcome your positive support and contributions to our school.  We are running a “Parent Helper’s course on Friday, 24th February at 9:00-10:00am for any parents who would like to come along and help out in classrooms. Please register your interest by contacting the office or speaking to your child’s teacher.  Ms Sam Koutros will be presenting this session.

This term we have our ‘Getting to Know You’, Three Way Conferences and BBQ on Thursday, 9th March from 3:45-7:00pm. Watch out for more information about these coming home shortly.  Bookings can again be made online. On Thursday, 30th March (the second last day of school), a Twilight Sports Night will be held from 4:00-6:00pm. We welcome all of our school community to come along and take part in some games with your children.  More information regarding this community event will be forwarded closer to the date.

To our staff, welcome back and thank you in advance for the commitment, enthusiasm and passion for teaching our students and providing the best educational opportunities for them to learn in 2017. New to the Clyde PS team this year are; Ms Naomi Lemos (Foundation), Ms Kate Brittain ( Junior), Ms Sophie Foden (Junior), Ms Allie McQueen (Junior), Ms Jess Hamilton ( Senior), Ms Rebecca Forrester (Senior), Mr Jerry Trzeciak (Performing Arts), Ms Amanda Ferguson (PE) and Ms Narelle Steckyj (Visual Arts and Senior Support), Ms Karen Carpenter and Ms Sherelle Browne ( ES staff).  I would also like to make a special welcome back to Ms Nikki Elston who will be supporting the Performing Arts Program this year.

Hello everyone!

My name is Allie McQueen and I am a new 1/2 teacher at Clyde Primary School. I am looking forward to teaching my class, 1/2G, and getting to know my students, more and more each day! I am also excited to spend time with the other six 1/2 classes as well! I have enjoyed a lot of snorkeling and bush walking over the holidays. I look forward to meeting you all.New Staff 2017

Hi, my name is Karen Carpenter and I am super excited to be part of the Clyde PS Team!  I am an Integration Aide for the Year 5/6’s and you can find me in the new portables located at the far back of the school which I share with Miss Hamilton, Miss Forester and our wonderful Year 5/6B & 5/6C students.  I am really looking forward to getting to know the students so they will feel comfortable with me and in turn we will learn, play and enjoy every school day together.  Some of you may already know me, as both my children Ben and Shea completed their Primary education at Clyde, where I was a volunteer over those ten years and on the School Council Board for five.  Some of my hobbies are camping, fishing, photography and relaxing at our little holiday shack on Sunday Island in Gippsland.  I also have a very loyal and loving Golden Labrador ‘Chloe.’  If you should see me in the school yard please give a wave and I am very approachable so feel free to come and introduce yourself in the portables either 15 mins before school starts or 15 mins after school finishes.  Looking forward to meeting you!    Karen

Hi! I’m Mrs Sophie Foden and I am teaching 1/2 C in 2017. I have been teaching for four years and spent 2016 working in England and travelling through Europe. I am excited for a wonderful year of learning and would like to thank the students, parents and staff for making me feel so welcome. I look forward to getting to know the Clyde community throughout the year! Sophie

Hello! My Name is Sherelle Browne and I am excited to be an Education Support Staff member this year in the 5/6 area at Clyde Primary School. I am looking forward to working with the children!!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas break! I know I did, my family and I all went away camping and had a great time and are feeling nice and refreshed for the New Year.Sherelle

Hello. My name is Narelle Steckyj and I‘m the new visual art teacher for years 3/4 and 5/6 at Clyde Primary School. I’m also a Mum to 3 gorgeous girls who, I’m proud to say, attend Clyde Primary School too. As a teacher and a Mum I know how important it is to engage your child in an interesting and relevant visual art program. One that will extend your child’s understanding of artistic and creative expression within a strong social and mutually supportive environment. My classroom will be a fun, happy, and mindful place where children are encouraged to participate to create something that is unique to themselves so they can proudly come home to you and enthusiastically say “look what I created today”.

Narelle

I’m Amanda Ferguson, the new Physical Education teacher at Clyde Primary. I am really looking forward to making PE/Sport enjoyable and fun for all ages and abilities, while encouraging and developing the students to be the best they can be, to challenge and support them, while helping them develop the skills and lifelong knowledge to live a life of activity, health and wellness. 

As a teacher (and a mum of 4), I like to lead by example. I enjoy competing in triathlons, in running events and open water swimming races. I am located in the learning centre (or on the oval) and I look forward to meeting you over the coming months. Amanda

Hello Clyde community. It is with great excitement I begin work for your school as Music and Performing Arts teacher. Music is my life and from the moment I picked up a guitar in Year 5 things changed forever. As a musician, performer and teacher, music has allowed me to meet many wonderful people and taken me to exciting places. I live with my beautiful wife and 18 month old daughter. I have many exciting things planned for Clyde and can’t wait to introduce our students to some really fun, hands on Music and Performing Arts activities. I am a huge fan of the guitar and bands like Van Halen, AC/DC, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard. See you in the classroom, ROCK ON!!!

Mr T (Trzeciak)Jerry

Hi! My name is Rebecca Forester and I am one of the new teachers in Year 5/6. I am so excited to be here at Clyde Primary School where there is such an emphasis on learning and trying our best.  Over the past few days my class and I have been getting to know each other and we are developing a supportive learning environment.  I look forward to meeting everyone, students and parents alike, and seeing what we can achieve together.  It’s going to be a great year!

Bec

Hello, Clyde Community!

My name is Naomi Lemos and I am very excited to be teaching at Clyde Primary School in 2017. I hope you all have had a lovely, well-rested break. Over my break I was fortunate enough to travel to Europe. This year you can find me teaching the wonderful Foundation B. As a recent graduate, I am enthusiastic about being in the classroom and an active member of the Clyde community. Please come in and say hello any time! I would love to meet new friendly faces.Naomi

Hello! My name is Kate Brittain and I am teaching 1/2E this year in the Lair with 1/2F and1/2G. I had a wonderful holiday spending time with my husband and daughter and I am excited to start the new school year. I am looking forward to getting to know my students and families better and I feel very privileged to be part of such a wonderful learning community. I am extremely passionate about teaching and have been teaching for twelve years.  I have a love for books and learning and hope to ignite the same passion in my students. I look forward to working with your children throughout the year and guiding them in their educational journey.Kate

Hello! My name is Jessica Hamilton and I am very excited to be a part of the team at Clyde Primary School in 2017. I teach 5/6B in room 19, one of our brand new portables. I am really looking forward to watching my students grow and challenge themselves this year! I love animals and am very passionate about animal rescue, last year I adopted a rescue puppy, her name is Nori. In the future I would love to start fostering rescue dogs. I look forward to a fantastic year at Clyde!Jess

Reading

As teachers are working hard to get to know your child and form important relationships, take home readers will start to be distributed as soon as possible.  All students will be taking books home to read by the end of next week.  It is really important that students read every night at home and their book bags and diaries are brought to school every day.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go” Dr Suess

For more information on how you can help your child at home with their reading please see the article below.Herald Sun article

Assemblies

This year, our assemblies will need to be adapted due to our growing numbers and available space to accommodate our whole school.  For Term 1, we will be having PLT (Year Level) assemblies each fortnight, more information will be communicated in the coming weeks. Our school leaders will continue to play a key role in the running of these events and your involvement in these smaller assemblies is valued and welcomed.  Our first whole school assembly will be held on Friday 3rd March where we will be presenting the Student Leader badges.  We welcome your ideas and thoughts for our assembly program for the remainder of the year.

School Improvements

Over the school holiday period a significant amount of work has been completed within and around our school facility.

There are now 4 brand new portable classrooms in the Year 1/2 area, these buildings are significantly more modern and larger than our previous classrooms.

We have also removed a wall and added concertina doors to develop some defined learning spaces for our other Year 1/2 students. This area is still a work in progress, we will endeavour to patch, paint and re-carpet parts of this area in the coming weeks as we continue to improve our school.

We also have 2 brand new 5/6 classrooms at the rear of the school which are equally as spacious as the other new buildings.

There are still minor works to be completed outside of these buildings and we anticipate that this will conclude in the next couple of weeks. These works include the installation of optic fibre for internet connectivity. These works are being completed by the Victorian Education Department.

Parents may have noticed that a new rubberised play space has been developed in the front playground. This space is designed for imaginative play for our Foundation and Junior School students and certainly brightens up the front of our school.

Roadworks have now been completed on Oroya Grove and Valletta Street. Parking bays have been painted on the road and we hope that this will help to ease traffic congestion.

Sunsmart

We require all students to wear a school hat every day for recess and lunchtime and any other outside activities.  Please support us to keep our students Sunsmart by making sure they have a hat.  Students who do not have a hat will be required to stay undercover for the duration of the outside activity or recess/ lunch break. Hats are available for purchase at the office.  Please make sure they are clearly named.

Staffing Structure and Communication

Our Leadership team in 2017 includes members of the Principal team; Nick Schneider, Michelle Mackenlay and myself as well as our Instructional leaders; Sam Koutros, Hayley Taylor and Doug Pumpa . Together we will be leading the implementation of the goals set out for our school for this year. We also have Professional Learning Team Co-ordinators for each area of the school.  We encourage you to speak regularly with your child’s teacher.  They will be in contact with you to celebrate successes and to discuss any concerns they may have.  When parents and teachers work together positively in partnership, students always benefit.  If there is an issue that you feel needs to be addressed further and you have spoken to the class teacher, please contact the Professional Learning Team Coordinator; Foundation- Ms Sue Lumley, Junior A- Ms Sophie Foden, Junior B- Ms Sharon Barker, Middle- Ms Pattie Chester and Senior- Ms Rebecca Forrester as soon as possible. They will be happy to listen and support you in any way they can.

We have a number of sources for communication at Clyde.  Our newsletter goes out every fortnight (odd weeks) via TIQBIZ.  You will also find information on our website and Facebook page. Our friendly office staff are available for phone contact every day on 5998 5293.

Calendar of Events for Term 1

Thursday, 9th March- 3:45-7:00 – Three Way Conferences

Friday, 24th February- 9:00-10:00- Parent Helper’s course

Thursday, 30th March- 4:00-6:00pm – Twilight Sports

Behaviour Management Program

To make sure our school is an orderly and safe place for all our students and staff, we have included our behaviour steps and consequences for inside and outside for your information.  These are currently being discussed in all classes.  We adopt a positive approach to behaviour at Clyde and a range of strategies are utilised in classrooms.

CLYDE PS BEHAVIOURAL CONSEQUENCES (STEPS PROCESS)

Behavioural consequences are to be followed in each classroom in conjunction with your Shared Commitments.

1. Warning – (students should be clear of how they have broken the commitments)
  2. Warning – Moved to another workspace in the classroom.
  3. Warning – Moved to an isolated workspace in the classroom.
  4. Removed to buddy classroom (minimum 20 mins), parents are contacted by the classroom teacher as soon as possible (on the same day) Teachers are expected to send their students with work to be completed when removed from class.

Students who are removed from class will need to be signed out on the Buddy Classroom template. These forms are to be handed to the PLT Coordinator at the end of each week.

If a student is refusing to follow teacher instructions at any of the above steps, skip straight to Step 5.

1. Assistant Principals/Wellbeing Coordinator contacted – (this is done by the buddy classroom’s teacher if the student’s behaviour is still not acceptable). If a student reaches this step, the expectation is that classroom teachers will need to document the incident in order to keep an ongoing record. These documents will need to be forwarded to the Wellbeing Coordinator.
  2. Principal involved.

If issues/behaviours arise that are more serious (e.g. fighting, bullying) or there are safety concerns, skip straight to step 5.

If behavioural issues continue on an ongoing basis, a behaviour management plan may need to be developed in conjunction with the Leadership Team.

CLYDE PS OUTSIDE BEHAVIOURAL CONSEQUENCES (STEPS PROCESS)

Outside behavioural consequences are to be followed in conjunction with our outside shared commitments.

Step 1:

Warning 1: Students name and incident to be placed into the Yard Duty folder with a W for warning next to it.

Warning 2: Students name and incident placed in the yard duty folder with a W2 next to it. ES staff to check book at the end of recess and lunch and notify classroom teacher if there is a child in their area on this warning. Classroom teacher to decide on an appropriate consequence.

Step 2:

If a student receives a third warning they will be required to walk around with the Yard Duty teacher for the rest of the play period. This will need to be documented in the Yard Duty folder. ES Staff to check the folder at the end of recess and lunch to notify classroom teachers if a child has received this warning. Classroom teacher to decide on an appropriate consequence.

Step 3:

If a student continues to disregard instructions, has been violent or is a danger to themselves or others, they are immediately referred to a member of the Leadership Team.

The Leadership Team will support the classroom teacher to determine a suitable consequence, parents will be contacted by the classroom teacher and a behaviour management plan developed with the student and parents.

Student Banking

School banking resumes Tuesday 7th February. Accounts can be opened at any Commonwealth Bank. If you would like to help out on a Tuesday morning and you have a spare hour please contact the office for further information.schoolbank

Nude food

Nude Food Fridays are starting back this week on Friday 10th February! Nude food helps the environment because it reduces the amount of material sent to landfill and it encourages better food and drink choices… So why not give nude food a try?

Help your child make nutritious, waste-less lunches and let them make their own lunches. Try packing lunches the night before and storing them in the fridge overnight. Nude Food

Thank you for reading our newsletter. Our next edition should be available at the beginning of June.

Translate »
X