Clyde Primary School Newsletter

8th February 2018

Featured | Term 1 – 2018

What a terrific start to 2018, welcome back to all of our students, families and teachers. Let the learning begin!

Events

Filter Events

20nov9:00 am10:30 amWhole School / Graduation Photo Day

21nov(nov 21)9:10 am(nov 21)9:10 amCamp Quality Puppets

23nov(nov 23)12:00 pm(nov 23)12:00 pmWhole School Transition

27nov(nov 27)6:00 pm(nov 27)6:00 pm2019 Foundation Parent Information Session

29nov(nov 29)11:00 am(nov 29)11:00 amParent Helper's Morning Tea

29nov(nov 29)6:00 pm(nov 29)6:00 pmFoundation 2019 Parent Information Session

03dec(dec 3)12:00 pm(dec 3)12:00 pmWhole School Transition Session

04decalldayalldayCarols Night

Principals Report

Welcome back- another exciting year ahead.

I would like to welcome our school community back to an exciting 2018 and make a special welcome to our new Foundation students who settled in well on their first day. We know they are well and truly ready and rearing to go as a result of attending all of the transition sessions in 2017. Our students are feeling safe and secure and positive about learning and school.  To our returning students, and our new students throughout the school, I wish you a year of achieving your best in learning and hope that you make the most of your opportunities.

To our parents, a special welcome back, we welcome your positive support and contributions to our school. This term we have our ‘Getting to Know You’, Three Way Conferences on Thursday, 8th March from 3:30-7:30pm. Watch out for more information about these coming home shortly.  Bookings can again be made online.

Other events to take note of for this term are our Twilight Sports evening on Wednesday 28th March from 4pm – 6pm.  We welcome all our families to come along for a sausage sizzle and join in some fun games with your children. More information about this event will be sent out shortly.  Keep the date free.

To our staff, welcome back and thank you in advance for the commitment, enthusiasm and passion for teaching our students and providing the best educational opportunities for them to learn in 2018. New to the Clyde PS team this year are; Ms Alexandra King and Ms Rebecca Atkins in the Senior school (Year 5 & 6), Mr Steven Dissegna and Ms Kellie Davis in the Middle School (Year 3 &4) and Mr James Kerr (ES in Junior School).

Communication at Clyde PS

We value positive relationships with parents.  Our staff are approachable and want to work in partnership with you in the important work in educating your child. Please chat with your child’s teacher should any issue arise.  They are your first port of call. Should you require further assistance after this initial communication for particular issues, I have listed the PLT coordinators across the school who will be able to assist you. Ms Hayley Taylor, our Wellbeing leader is also available.  Finally, Ms Mackenlay is available as our Assistant Principal to help with more serious and complex issues. Our goal is to develop your child’s ability to resolve issues, build resilience and learn lifelong skills, as well as getting along with others.  Please see document below on ‘How to help if your child comes home from school with a concern or problem’ to support us in achieving this goal together.

Foundation – Ms Ashlea Hickey
Junior – Ms Rebecca Forester
Middle – Ms Amanda Cecil
Senior – Mr Ben Ahern
Specialists – Mr Jerry Trzeciak

School Review Year

Early in Term 2, our school will be involved in a school review.  This process happens every four years and involves a panel; including an independent school reviewer, a challenge partner (Principal from another school), representatives from our School Council and our Senior Educational Improvement Leader (Anne Martin) to assess the progress we have made with our Strategic Plan and make recommendations for the next four year Strategic Plan. Ms Mackenlay, Mr Trzeciak and I will be attending an initial information session on Thursday, 8th February with a full day of training on the 20th February. During this term we will be holding some forums with parents, students and staff to gather feedback for our self-evaluation to be completed by the end of Term 1.  At the end of the process, the school will receive an evaluation report.

‘Shared learning’

The first two days of 2018; Monday, 29th and Tuesday, 30th provided an opportunity for our teachers and Education Support staff to identify goals and focus areas for our work this year. Our teachers work collaboratively with collective responsibility for all our students.  We set high expectations, know our students and what they need to know in order to get to the next step.  We want our students to be problem solvers and critical thinkers, be respectful, empathetic and curious, and keep the love of learning.curriculum Day

In Term 4, 2017, our teachers were involved in Curriculum Investigations for Wellbeing, Maths, Writing and Digital Technologies.  As a result we have developed instructional models for each of these areas which were presented to staff over the first 2 days.  Our teachers have clear expectations of how we teach each of these areas across our school based on evidence –based best practice for a whole school approach to learning. Our professional learning continues every Tuesday afternoon from 3:50-4:50pm.

curriculum day

Uniform

Can I please remind all parents to ensure that students are required to wear school uniform every day. Hair needs to be tied back and hair bows/ ties should be in school colours only.

Thank you for your support in this matter.

James Kerr

Hello Clyde Primary School! My name is Mr Kerr and I am very excited to join the educational support staff in the Year 1 and 2 area. Currently I am studying Primary Education at Deakin Univesity in Burwood and am about to start my second year. So like our students, I have to go to school too! If you see me around the schoolyard feel free to come say hello, I’d love to have a chat.

Five fun facts about me:
My favourite colour is yellow
I have a dog named Bonnie
My favourite food is seafood
My favourite superhero is Batman
I can juggle

Kellie Davis

Hello Clyde PS Community! I am teaching 3/4D this year and am very excited to join Clyde. I have come from teaching for five years at Patterson Lakes Primary School. I have recently built a new house in Clyde North and live with my partner, James. I love anything and everything to do with sport. I am a mad Melbourne Demons supporter and during the season I am at the games most weekends. I love to play and watch basketball. I play twice a week socially with my sister, Sarah. I am thrilled to begin a new phase of my teaching career at Clyde. I have a big passion for teaching numeracy and  l am excited to bring my knowledge and experience to the school. I am looking forward to a wonderful year!

Alexandra King

Hi everyone!

My name is Alexandra King and I am teaching 5/6 D this year.  I am very excited about joining the team here at Clyde Primary School.  I have had a fantastic start to the school year and have been made to feel very welcome by the staff, students and parents.  I am passionate about teaching and supporting all students to be the best they can be.  I like to make learning enjoyable and fun and hope to challenge my students to reach their full potential.  I have been teaching for a long time and find it very rewarding, When I’m away from school I love music, singing, cooking and meeting up with friends.  I am also an ambassador for the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation, which basically means I try to spread kindness wherever I go! In the future, I would love to do some volunteer work in my community.  I look forward to meeting you all and having a sensational year at Clyde!

Alexandra King

Rebecca Atkins

My name is Rebecca Atkins and I am very excited to be teaching 5/6 C at Clyde Primary School in 2018. As a teacher, I am extremely passionate about creating a positive learning environment for all of my students, and providing each student with support and guidance to achieve their personal best!

I love travelling around the world and have travelled to 13 different countries. At the end of this year, I will be travelling to New Zealand with my family. I also love reading and taking my puppy, Luka, for a walk.

I look forward to meeting all of the students and families within the Clyde Primary School community over the next few weeks!

Steven Dissegna

Hello, my name is Steven Dissegna and this year I have joined Clyde Primary School as part of the 3 / 4 team. I graduated from Deakin University at the end of 2016 and spent the next year working as a CRT to gain an insight into a variety of different schools and classrooms. Before becoming a teacher I was a chef and I worked in a variety of settings ranging from fast food to gourmet kitchens. I have a passion for creativity as well as finding out how things work. I enjoy cooking, reading, listening to music, ICT and the occasional Lego. I am excited to be a member of the Clyde community and will enjoy growing professionally and personally alongside the students, staff and school.Steven

Lunch Time Activities – Term 1

Beginning Week Three (next week) lunchtime activities will be starting during the second half of recess and the second half of lunch. Students are welcome to attend any of the activities during this time.

Monday Recess: – Mathletics and Reading Eggs with Mrs Chester in 3/4C

Lunch: – Library with Mrs Taylor in the Library

Tuesday Recess: – Card Games with Miss Davis in the Library

Lunch: – Lego and Board Games with Mrs Taylor in the Learning Centre

Wednesday Recess: – Library with Mrs Barker in the Library

Lunch: – Outside Activities with Miss Ferguson on the Basketball Court

Thursday Recess:-Writer’s Notebook with Miss Forester in 1/2A

Lunch:-Construction with Mrs Campbell in the Learning Centre

Friday Recess: -Mindful Colouring with Mrs Brittain in 1/2B

Lunch: – How to Draw with Mrs Steckyj in the Art Room

Starting School

Beginning the School Year

The new school year has begun and settling into a positive school routine is essential to assist students to arrive at school happy, alert, on time and ready for the day. Below are some tips to assist:

Establish a good morning routine

Setting expectations for children is beneficial so they understand what their responsibility is each morning.

• Having their clothes set out the night before will assist children to independently dress themselves when they get up each morning.
  • Packing bags the night before with what they need for the next day will ensure items are not forgotten.
  • Eating a wholesome breakfast each morning will fuel children’s brains for the day to come.
  • Use a visual timeline so children can see what they need to complete each morning and they can tick off responsibilities once they are complete.
  • If your children are regular watchers of electronics in the morning it is a good idea to change the routine and keep them off electronics in the morning or ensure that children are completely ready for school before engaging with electronics.

The Night Before

Establishing a good night time routine is beneficial to ensure children are getting enough sleep for the next day.

• When establishing a good night time routine begin with the ideal time you want your children to go to bed and work back from there. (Primary school aged children ideally require between 10-12 hours per night)
  • When winding down for the evening a quiet activity is beneficial to prepare them for bed. Having a bath or shower at night, playing a quiet activity or reading will all assist in helping children to wind down before going to sleep.
  • Keep routines consistent and predictable each night.
  • If your children are visual learners print out the bedtime schedule to display in the house.

Developing Independence in Children

Ensure you are gradually giving children responsibility each day so they become more independent. You can do this by asking students to carry their own bag into their classroom and unpacking it each day.  Helping to pack their snack and lunch into their bag and unpacking their bag at the end of the school day.

Nutritious Food for School

Make sure you are packing wholesome nutritious food into their lunch box and including fruit for fruit break time so children have enough food to concentrate throughout the day. A bottle of water is also an essential item every day of the year so students can sip on the water throughout the day whilst still working and keeping themselves hydrated.

Being Positive

When you collect your children at the end of the day ask them some open ended questions about how their day was. Questions like ‘Tell me something you enjoyed about today’, or ‘Tell me about something new you learnt today’, will ensure students don’t just give you a yes or no response. Try and remain positive around your children and provide them with appropriate strategies to assist them through difficult situations. Don’t talk about your frustrations in front of your children and remember to build a relationship with your classroom teacher and speak to them if you have a concern.

Please make a time to chat to me if you have any concerns or wish to talk through any strategies you have.
Hayley Taylor (Wellbeing School Improvement Leader)

Attendance News

Students should be attending school at all times. However, sometimes an absence is unavoidable due to sickness and medical related absences. It is a department requirement that parents notify the school in writing of the reason for any absence. Clyde Primary School’s preferred method of communicating a student absence is through our Flexibuzz app. We request that you notify the school by 9.30am if your child is going to be absent that day.

It is important to arrive before the school bell each day so children have a chance to unpack their bags, say hello to their teacher and friends, and prepare themselves for the beginning of the day. However, if your child arrives after 9am parents are required to accompany their child to the front office to sign in before they can enter the classroom. Similarly, if parents are picking children up before the end of the school day they must sign their child out at the office.

Family holidays should be planned in school holiday times. If an extended absence during the school term is unavoidable and not sickness related please notify your classroom teacher at least two weeks prior to the extended absence (3 days or more) so a student absence plan can be developed.

Student Absence Learning Plans are implemented to support the education of students who are absent from school for an extended period. The Principal or Assistant Principal will sign off on Absence Learning Plans.

General Information

Leaving children unattended in cars

As the weather is quite warm it is even more imperative that children are not left unattended in cars.

Information regarding this has been included in this week’s newsletter outlining the dangers, safety tips and what you can do if you see a child left alone in a car.

excel music

GROUP KEYBOARD,
GUITAR AND DRUM LESSONS

Enrolments are currently being accepted for group keyboard, guitar and drum lessons.

These lessons are held during school on school premises and cost $13.00 for a 30 minute group lesson.

If you would like to enroll your child in keyboard, guitar or drum lessons, please obtain an enrolment form from the school office or contact Excel Music, (03) 9801 8991.

Thank you for reading our newsletter. Our next edition should be available in the middle of February.

Translate »
X