Clyde Primary School Newsletter

1st February 2019

Featured | Buildings and Grounds Work

Our school building and canteen have been painted over the holidays and look renewed and rejuvenated in a grey and white colour palette. It has certainly given these buildings a new lease of life. Our decks have been restored and the new library and Foundation learning space are in action. We will be spending the next two to three weeks preparing the library with cataloguing and auditing books. If you can assist, please contact the office.

Events

Filter Events

25aprAll DayANZAC DAY(All Day: thursday)

30aprAll DayCANTEEN(All Day: tuesday)

30aprAll DaySchool Photo Day(All Day: tuesday)

03may9:30 am2:00 pmDistrict Cross Country9:30 am - 2:00 pm

09mayAll Day10Mother's Day Stall(All Day)

10may1:00 amMother's Day Picnic1:00 am

14mayAll Day17NAPLAN(All Day)

20mayAll Day24EDUCATION WEEK(All Day)

Principals Report

Welcome back- another exciting year ahead.

I would like to welcome our school community back to an exciting 2019 and make a special welcome to our new Foundation students who settled in well on their first day. We know they are well and truly ready and raring to go as a result of attending all of the Transition sessions in 2018. Our students are feeling safe and secure and positive about learning and school. For Foundation parents, if you haven’t booked in for a Wednesday testing time, please speak to your child’s teacher. To our returning students, and our new students throughout the school, I wish you a year of achieving your best in learning and hope that you make the most of your opportunities.

To our parents, a special welcome back, we welcome your positive support and contributions to our school. On Monday, 11th February at 9:00am, Mrs Lumley will be running our first Parent Helper’s course for those who would like to help in any way at school. Your children love to see you here and we are always looking for help in a number of areas including; Reading and Writing in classrooms, Breakfast Club, our Library, Gardening and School Banking to name a few.  If you are interested and would like to register, please contact the office on 59985293.

This term we have our ‘Getting to Know You’, Three Way Conferences on Thursday, 7th March from 3:30-7:30pm. These sessions give you an opportunity to tell us more about your children and highlight their particular strengths and interests. Watch out for more information about these coming home shortly.  Bookings can again be made online.

We have also planned our Junior Athletics Sports Day (Foundation to Year 2) for Tuesday, 26th March and the Year 3-6 Cross Country for Friday, 5th April (last day of term). Our Easter Parade will also be held on this day, so keep these dates free.

Finally, our whole school assemblies will be held on Monday afternoons this year from 2:45pm on Monday, 4th March and Monday, 1st April weather permitting. Professional Learning Team assemblies will again be run this year and we will advise of the new format and timing of these asap.

To our staff, welcome back and thank you in advance for the commitment, enthusiasm and passion for teaching our students and providing the best educational opportunities for them to learn in 2019. New to the Clyde PS team this year are; Ms Robyn Harris and Ms Jessica Bowler (Foundation), Ms Tegan Crow and Ms Katrina Smith (Junior School), Mr Brad Andrews and Ms Tegan Cox (Senior School), Ms Dani Rendall (STEM), Ms Kate Couacaud (Leading Teacher- PLTs) and Ms Nazima Sahib (ES: Middle School). They too have settled in well to our wonderful school.

Tegan Crow DSC_0002

Hi there!
My name is Tegan Crow. I am one of the Junior school’s new teachers and I am beyond excited to be joining the Clyde community in 2019. My favourite thing about being a teacher is the people I get to share the classroom with! I love getting to know all of my students and watching them blossom throughout the year. Outside of school, I love to spend time with my friends, family and my cat, Lewis. I also love to cook! I am so proud to be a part of the Clyde community and I am looking forward to the adventure that awaits us.

Tegan Cox  DSC_0005

Hello!

My name is Tegan Cox and I am one of the Senior school’s new teachers for 2019. I am ecstatic to be the teacher of the wonderful students in 5/6B! All of the staff, students and parents I have met so far have been extremely welcoming and I am so happy to be a part of the Clyde community. My favourite thing about being a teacher is getting to know each and every one of my students as an individual and seeing their personalities grow throughout the school year. My classroom will always be bright and colourful with lots of displays and quirky aspects here and there. I like to make learning as fun as possible so that we can all get the best out of our days at school. Outside of school I like to spend my time with my friends and family, going to the movies, trying new cuisines or even just vegging out on the couch. I cannot wait to see what else this beautiful community has to offer over the next few months!!!

Katrina Smith  DSC_0003

Hi, my name is Katrina Smith and this year I will be teaching 1/2B. I am 36 years young and mum to a 12 year-old son named Aiden. He is sports mad – so I certainly know what it is like to spend my evenings and weekends at sports training and competitions! In my spare time I love to read, watch movies and spend time with my family (including our cats and dog).

I am really excited to be teaching at Clyde Primary School this year. The community vibe of the school is welcoming and exciting and I am looking forward to teaching and learning with our students. Feel free to drop by and say hello anytime!

Kate Couacaud  DSC_0001

I’m very excited to join the Clyde community and I look forward to working with students and families. I have been working in education for around 20 years and my role at Clyde PS is as a Leading Teacher, so I will be working closely with staff and students on achieving their learning goals.

I have two boys that are 12 and 8 and we are looking forward to the 2019 school year.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Kate Couacaud

Jessica Bowler  DSC_0006

Hello Clyde Community,

My name is Miss Bowler and it’s with immense pleasure and excitement that i will be entering the world of teaching at Clyde Primary.

I’m over the moon to announce that I will be teaching the beautiful Foundation C students, however I look forward to getting to know the rest of you too!

I follow Richmond Tigers in the AFL and cannot wait to see all of the other supporters on Footy Day! When I’m not at school I enjoy playing sport and camping on the weekends with my friends and family.

If you see me out in the school grounds, please come and introduce yourself. I’m excited and eager to meet as many of you as I can throughout this year.

Jessica Bowler

Brad Andrews  DSC_0004

Hi everyone!

My name is Brad Andrews and I am teaching 5/6 D this year.  I am very excited about joining the team here at Clyde Primary School.  I have had a fantastic break and I am looking forward to commencing the new school year with an awesome group of students. I have been made to feel very welcome by the staff, students and parents.  I am passionate about teaching and supporting all students to be the best they can be.  I like to make learning enjoyable and fun and hope to challenge my students to reach their full potential.  I have been teaching for a long time at both Secondary and Primary level and find it highly rewarding. When I’m away from school I love to play the drums, watch my beloved Western Bulldogs, go on outings with my wife, Emma and also play with my son, Leo.  I am also an ambassador for the White Ribbon Foundation, which I am very proud of. I look forward to meeting you all and having a sensational year at Clyde!

Robyn Harris  DSC_0007

My name is Robyn Harris and l am thrilled to join the Clyde Primary School community. This year l will be teaching Foundation. I bring with me the experience of many years of teaching across several schools. Assisting students to grow and learn is a privilege and l am eager to get to know my Foundation students and the wider school community. Beyond the classroom, l live with my husband, two grown up children and a grumpy old cat. I enjoy spending time with my family and working in my garden. I look forward to sharing a wonderful year with you all.

Danielle Rendall  DSC_0008

Hello! My name is Danielle Rendall and I am the new STEM teacher at Clyde Primary School. I am an experienced teacher and have a strong passion for Science and STEM education. I have just completed the Graduate Certificate of STEM Education at Monash University which was a valuable learning experience but also lots of work. My family includes my partner Dave and our eight year old son, Ollie. We also added a new member to our family, a Jack Russell puppy named Alfie. He’s very sweet and has endless energy! We spent some of our holidays down at Phillip Island and enjoyed swimming at the beach and visiting the chocolate factory. I’m very excited to start the school year and get to know all of the children and families at Clyde Primary School.

Nazima Sahib  DSC_0009

Hello everyone!

My name is Nazima Sahib and I am extremely excited to join the education support team here at Clyde PS.

I thought it would be nice if you knew a little bit about me. Here are a few of my favourite things:

• I love lots of colours but my absolute favourite is blue
  • My favourite season is spring because I love the beautiful flowers and warmer days
  • I love reading, cooking and spending time with my family

I am looking forward to getting to know the Clyde PS community and having a great year!

Communication at Clyde PS

We value positive relationships with parents.  Our staff are approachable and want to work in partnership with you in the important work of educating your child. Please chat with your child’s teacher should any issue arise.  They are your first port of call. Our staff are outside after school each day to have a quick chat to.  Please make an appointment however, for issues that will require more time. Should you require further assistance after this initial communication for particular issues, I have listed the PLT coordinators across the school who will be able to assist you. Ms Hayley Taylor, our Wellbeing leader is also available, as are Ms Kate Couacaud and Ms Sue Lumley. Finally, Ms Mackenlay is available as our Assistant Principal to help with more serious and complex issues. Our goal is to develop your child’s ability to resolve issues, build resilience and learn lifelong skills, as well as getting along with others.

Foundation Ms Kellie Davis
Junior Ms Kate Brittain and Ms Sam Koutros
Middle Ms Ashlea Hickey
Senior Ms Alex King
Specialists Ms Kate Couacaud

Wellbeing

During our first two days of the school year, staff were involved in professional learning around different ideas they could use to build positive relationships with students and parents at the beginning of the year, and how students can build relationships with their peers in the classroom. We discussed our four golden rules. These are:

*I will listen and follow instructions

*I will use positive language only

*I will raise my hand

*I will follow the 3 R’s: Respect, Responsibility and Resilience

Our inside and outside behavioural steps (attached) were also discussed and student will be reminded of our rewards and step system within the first few weeks of school. Discussion was also held with staff regarding individual learning plans and identifying students who are required to be on an individual learning plan.

Inside Behavioural Consequences (steps)-1 Outside Behavioural Consequences (steps)-1

All staff participated in an Anaphylaxis update discussing needs for particular students in the school, signs and symptoms and the school’s emergency process if a reaction occurs.

Fruit Break

At Clyde PS, fruit break occurs at approximately 10am and 12.30pm. Students can bring fruit to be consumed at either or both these times. Fruit that is acceptable during this time is any fruit that comes off a tree eg: apple, pear, berries, or vegetables eg: carrots, tomatoes. We will also accept fruit cups that have fruit and juice in it (but not jelly with fruit). Your child is more than welcome to eat other fruit varieties (roll ups or fruit with jelly) during snack and lunch break.

Shared learning

The first two days of 2019; Tuesday 29th and Wednesday 30th provided an opportunity for our teachers and Education Support staff to work together to collectively set our goals and high expectations for 2019. We revisited our Instructional Models in Reading, Writing, Maths, Technologies and Behaviour Management. These whole school approaches to teaching and learning are evident in all learning spaces across Clyde PS.

Traffic conditions around Clyde PS

The traffic lights at the end of Oroya Grove and Clyde Road are now in operation. We have been in contact with our local member to request school signage and speed limit reduction along Clyde Rd on approach to Oroya Grove and will keep you advised of progress. Please note that we now have an additional 70 students at Clyde bringing our school population to 470.  With roadworks on Clyde Road as well as road closure on Railway Rd from Clyde Rd to Valetta St, traffic congestion before and after school is inevitable. Please leave plenty of time to get children to school by 9:00am.  It may be useful to park at the local Clyde Hall.  If you go to the end of Oroya Grove and turn left, it will lead to the Clyde Hall. It is then a very short walk to school.  Please be mindful of where you park, avoiding resident’s driveways and nature strips, particularly on corners.

Attendance News

Attending school each day is so extremely important for all students. Being at school ensures students are learning new concepts each day and can socialise and interact with their peers. It helps students to build positive relationships with other students and staff members. However, sometimes an absence is unavoidable due to sickness and medical related issues. It is a department requirement that parents notify the school in writing of the reason for any absence. Clyde Primary School’s preferred method of communicating a student absence is through our Flexibuzz app. We request that you notify the school by 9.00am if your child is going to be absent that day.

Arriving at school before the bell goes in the morning is also important. This ensures children have a chance to unpack their bags, say hello to their teacher and friends, and prepare themselves for the beginning of the day. However, if your child arrives after 9am parents are required to accompany their child to the front office to sign in before they can enter the classroom. Similarly, if parents are picking children up before the end of the school day they must sign their child out at the office.

General Information

Coming soon to Clyde Primary School. An online student driven digital portfolio.

download

Look out in our next newsletter for more information.

CHILD SAFE STANDARDS

Clyde Primary School is committed to child safety. We want children to be safe, happy and empowered. We support and respect all children, as well as our staff and members of the school community. We are committed to the safety, participation and empowerment of all students. We have a zero tolerance of child abuse, and all allegations and safety concerns will be treated seriously. If you would like more information please see our Child Safe Policy on our website.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation, and their Elders, as the Traditional Owners of the land on which the School stands.

Thank you for reading our newsletter. Our next edition should be available mid February.

X